5 Tips for Dewy Wedding Makeup
Photo: Joseph Green Studios
One of the hottest current makeup trends in and out of the wedding industry is the glowy, sun-kissed, dewy look, featuring light-catching highlighter and subtle shimmer. Many NOAH’S brides opt for a beautiful glow on their wedding day, and it looks stunning every time! To help you achieve this heart-stopping look, we’ve compiled a list of tips perfect for creating the perfect wedding glow.
1) Moisturize. The dewy look is all about appearing healthy, youthful, and glowing. Naturally, moisturizing is the first step to rejuvenate and freshen your skin, adding some natural radiance to your complexion.
2) Aluminizing primer or serum. Before putting on foundation, add a few drops of an illuminating primer to give your face a lustrous base before building the rest of your makeup look on top of it. An aluminizing primer is like a head-start for the rest of your dewy look; it’ll help your foundation go on smoothly and keep you looking fresh the entire day.
3) Highlighter color. Highlighter is crucial to achieving a dewy makeup look, but some people find choosing the right highlighter color daunting. If you wear makeup, you already know how to select a foundation color based on the warmth and tone of your skin. Choosing a highlighter color is essentially the same principle. The darker your skin is, the deeper the shade of highlighter you should wear. Warm and olive-toned skin looks best with warm highlighting colors: peach, terra cotta, gold. Use cooler colors like pink, champagne, and pear if you have cool or fair-toned skin.
4) Highlighter formula. Select a highlighter formula that works with your skin type. There are many different kinds of highlighter on the market—powder, cream, gel, liquid—and each is good for a different look and different skin type. If your skin is oily, a drier formula, like powder, will stay in place better and help your skin look glowy but not greasy. Combination skin and dry skin do better with creamy or liquid highlighters. We suggest trying out a few different formulas to find the one that works best for your skin type.
5) Don’t go crazy. Highlighter is fun and pretty, so it’s tempting to go a little bit hog-wild at first. Remember that you want to look more like a luminous fairy queen than a glittery alien. Be judicious with your highlighter; apply it to the tops of your cheekbones, under your brow bones, on the bridge of your nose, and on your cupid’s bow. Our rule of thumb is to apply highlighter to the parts of your face that naturally catch the light. Stay away from your forehead, the fleshy parts of your cheeks, and your chin.
Photo: Nathaniel Jensen
The thing we really love about the dewy trend is that it’s fairly easy to get right (WAY easier than contouring). With a little practice, you’ll be on your way to looking like a stunning goddess on your wedding day.